Basic to the use of any orthosis are factors such as prevention of deformity by proper positioning of weakened segments, control or stabilization of joints proximally to those activated or prevention of substitution. Orthoses may also be used to correct present deformities. They are both therapeutic and functional.
|Hand splints are used for the following functions:
- Stabilize (immobilize) joints in a desired position to rest the joint, tendons, ligaments and muscles or maintain a certain bone alignment.
- Prevent contracture or deformity.
- Prevent unwanted motion.
- Gradually stretch contracture to increase range of motion.
- Provide support for flaccid hand and wrist.
- Maintain gains achieved by manipulation, corrective surgery or reconstructive procedures.
- Relieve pain.
- Facilitate palmar hygiene.
- Prevent pressure sores or facilitate healing of existing pressure areas.